Whatever you put online is going to stay there even if you delete it, and even before you do, many people probably saw it already. You have to be careful of what you say or post online because you never know who will see it. So today I have some tips and advice on how to comment properly and create a proper profile for the rest to see. Here we go!
Photo Credit: Werner Moser via Pixabay
Proper Grammar, Spelling, and Punctuation
- Capitalize any names, places, etc. and in the beginning of a sentence.
- Make sure you have a period at the end of a sentence.
- Use commas and other punctuation marks when needed.
- Don’t argue with other people, everyone has opinions.
- Be polite to others.
- Make sure your comment is not offending.
Be Unique and Interesting
- Your comment should add to the conversation.
- Make sure your comment makes sense.
- Say something others haven’t, for example, don’t say “I agree” just like everyone else.
Take Your Time
- Take the time to read over your comment.
- Make sure you don’t have any mistakes.
- Make sure it makes sense.
Don’t Be Off Topic
- Don’t say random and related things in your comment.
- Don’t use your comment as self-promotion.
- Don’t make your comment too long, no one will want to spend their whole time reading a long comment.
- Don’t comment something short, for example, “nice post”.
Don’t Make Informal Comments
- Don’t use “gr8”, use “great”.
- Don’t use “u” instead of “you”.
- Don’t say things that we would say in everyday conversations.
Don’t Start a Fight
- If someone said something immoral, don’t say anything back, just ignore them.
- Don’t say something that will offend others.
Photo Credit: Avatar via Pixabay
Other online users mostly judge you by your profile, that is one of the main ways they identify you, so it is important to have a profile that properly identifies you. You also never know who will come across your page and want to contact you, so you should be aware.
Profile, Screenname, and Image
Profile – Make sure your profile is accurate. You don’t have to write which city you live in, but you could write the province/state, or country. You shouldn’t give out any personal information, but if someone wants to contact you, they should be able to easily.
Screen Name – Make sure your username is not something like “iluvunicorns28” because to other online users, it is unprofessional and foolish. Others might even mistake you for spam. You should make your screen name your first name and an initial of your lat name, you don’t have to give away your last name.
Profile Picture – People are curious to know who you are and the first thing they will look at is your picture and username, so it is important to make your profile picture as accurate as you can. If you don’t want to post a picture of yourself, you can make an avatar, which is a digital version of you. Or if you do post a picture of yourself, makes sure it is professional and not a selfie of you at a party or something.
Well, thank you for taking the time to read my blog, and I hope you learned a thing or two!