We are online almost all the time, especially now, and there are more vulnerable people such as kids getting sucked into the world of technology. Although most of us, including some adults, don’t realize how important it is to be aware of the internet. Once you start going on the internet, everything you do on it, is tracked. And it can possibly be there forever, even after you die. In other words, you leave digital footprints every time you on the internet.
All of you on this blog right now, have a digital dossier. But many of us don’t even know what it is. A digital dossier is all your online data that includes you private information as well as your online identity. Here is how it starts. Before a child is born, information about the baby is recorded at the hospital. Then the parents post pictures until they are old enough to use technology independently. As they start going on the internet, it records every click they make on the world wide web. And from this time until they die, their digital dossier just keeps on growing. For example, if an individual does a search about cars, it is stored in search engine servers and the user’s IP address is tagged with a unique cookie. And anyone can view your digital dossier. So, let’s look at the pros and cons of having a digital dossier.
- You are able to share your thoughts with others using a blog, commenting, etc.
- You can connect with others throughout the world.
- You can connect with your friends and family easily.
- You have control over how you want to be seen as online.
- Anyone can search you up and if you have a positive digital dossier, it could benefit you in some way and possibly open up new doors for you.
- Personal data can be shared without your knowledge.
- If you wanted to delete something you posted, and you delete it, others might have already screenshot it, and it can be spread around.
- Your personal information, such as your email, name, address, etc. can be viewed by others.
- Something you have posted that wasn’t in your favor, could be viewed by others, which could affect you negatively.
Now a days, we can’t really stay off of technology, so it is really important to know how to keep your personal information safe, and make sure your digital dossier is positive. So, some ways you can do this is by deleting all tracking cookies and browsing history regularly. Many of us don’t do this, but, make sure you always read all of the security settings on social networks. And lastly, don’t share too much information about yourself because anyone can find it and use it negatively. If you are aware of all of this, then you likely will have a digital dossier that won’t do any harm.